Each October, the Maine Board of Pesticides Control conducts a program to collect and properly dispose of banned and unusable pesticides from homeowners and farms. Preregistration is required and collections are held at four sites across the state.

Once a year, The Board of Pesticides Control (BPC) and the Department of Environmental Protection collect obsolete pesticides brought to sites across Maine. The materials are then shipped to disposal facilities. Banned pesticides and pesticides that have become caked, frozen or otherwise rendered unusable can be accepted. The program is available to homeowners as well as non-corporate farmers and greenhouse operators.

Registration Form Instructions

Option 1: fillable PDF file: Open the file, fill in the information, print it out, and mail it to the BPC (mailing address on the form).
Option 2: Word file: Open the file, fill in the information, and save it to your hard drive then attach it to an e-mail, and send it to pesticides@maine.gov.
Option 3 Request paper copy: Contact the BPC (207-287-2731 or pesticides@maine.gov) to have a copy of the form mailed to you.

On the registration form, identify the common name of the pesticide active ingredients shown on each product’s label. Common names are often listed on the front of the label followed by the chemical name. If the active ingredient is not listed, or is unreadable, please describe the product using the brand name, EPA registration number, or any other identifying information you can find on the label. Unidentified products without labels or markings should also be described in as much detail as possible.

After your inventory form is received, the BPC will mail a map and instructions 10 days before your collection date. Bring your obsolete pesticides to the assigned site. Once there, stay in your vehicle and present shipping papers to officials. They will direct you to place obsoletes in an appropriate receptacle.

More information about the program may be found on the State of Maine website or by calling 207-287-2731.